Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Bentota to galle by train

HI





I have read in the forum that Galle is OK for Jewelry , is it feasible to go there by train from Bentota and return in a day



Bentota to galle by train


Hi,





A train ride to Galle is a nice experience and return trip can easily be done in a day. Not all express trains stop at Bentota, so it could be a good idea to go from/to Aluthgama (on the north side of Bentota River) - 5 minutes (LKR 100) by tuk tuk.





You can find timetables here: http://www.railway.gov.lk/Search_Result.php





From memory I don%26#39;t think they are 100% correct, but they could be because timetables changed at 1 February. Better check at the station before you go.





Fares look correct. At least fare from Hikkaduwa to Aluthgama was what I paid in January.





Hans



Bentota to galle by train


Hi Hans





Thanks for this It%26#39;s on my list of must do%26#39;s .



i%26#39;ll keep this one for a rainy day . I%26#39;m sure we will have a couple , Now I have that site I%26#39;ll look at a couple more rail jorneys . just as a thought if we travel t another town /city is it ok just to walk into a Hotel a get a room for the night .




Hi again,





As long as you intend to pay for your stay is OK;-)





Most hotels/guesthouses will ask to see you passport, or at least have your passport number.





When are you going to Sri Lanka?





Hans (who is going to Sri Lanka in 16 days)




Hi Hans





shame about the Paying part but i suppose it has to be done ;-)





I%26#39;m going on the 20th June , we are starting to get an itinerary worked out , we are there for three weeks so have time to take it slowly . so far i have a day in Galle a night in Kandie , the elephant orphanage , the turtle place , the Bridge over the river quai ,Tea plantation and lots of fishing laying around and having a beer . i love Asian food so a few chats with the chef in the hotel if that%26#39;s possible . or if you know of a cookery school by Bentota I would be grateful . Oh and shopping I%26#39;m told we will be shopping . and anywhere else that the kind people on this forum can recomend




Hi,





Not sure about formal cookery classes in Bentota, but I%26#39;m pretty sure a private class can be arranged.





One of my friends there used to be chef de partis at a hotel before the tsunami. Now he is a casual cook.





Hans




Hans





that would be fantastic , I%26#39;m not a total amateur havent been in the Kitchen professionally for some years but I am a trained chef so would enjoy talking food to someone who really understands it .



If he%26#39;s interested let me know and we can come to some sort of arrangement .

No comments:

Post a Comment