Wednesday, December 7, 2011

travelling sri lanka on my own?

Hi





I just wanted some advice before I start planning my trip, I want to travel out to Sri Lanka in August for 3 weeks in August and will be travelling around on my own as a single 28yr old woman. Is it safe to do so, easy enough to get around and enough people about to make it fun? I have travelled a fair bit before so things don%26#39;t phase me but thought it was worth checking before I get carried away.





Thanks



travelling sri lanka on my own?


Hi,





Yes its not going to be a problem with little bit of common sense provided that you are not going to travel north %26amp; east. As a precaution avoid traveling alone in the late nights,hang around the beaches alone in the late evenings etc. May be you can come up with the things what exactly you are planning to do here so that we can discuss further.





Nishantha



travelling sri lanka on my own?


No worries, I%26#39;m a single woman and have nothing but great times on my 4 visits.




Shouldn%26#39;t be a problem but avoid using the train, beach if its lonely....any lonely place for that matter.





Try to use a regular cab service when travelling.





have fun and enjoy Sri Lanka ..good luck :-)




I went alone for 6 x weeks in August last year, the only time I felt unsafe was wandering along the roads at night with the dogs that nobody cared about having a go at me.



Out of Colombo, and in the provinces, the towns shut down by 9pm. My biggest problem was finding social company in the evenings!!



I%26#39;m a male so don%26#39;t experience the possible hassle a female may encounter, but I found Sl a safe country for a visitor, and cannot recall being threatened at any time, except for the dogs.



Don%26#39;t compare it to India with the sexual immaturity that their men exhibit.




Hi peeps,





I%26#39;m a single woman and have just returned from SL. Had a great 5 weeks whilst there, navigating around Columbo in the tuk tuks and travelled to Kandy and around the south coast. The majority of people I met were warm, friendly and helpful.





One warning I will give though, is be aware of well dressed, men that seem to work the Galle Face and Holiday Inns of Columbo. They will be particularly charismatic and incredibly charming.....they are invariably looking for women to fund their livelihoods. Basically, they are charming liars and cheats looking for easy money.





I did travel by train to Kandy, via second class, and didn%26#39;t experience any problems.





And yes, try to stay off the beaches after 6pm or sunset. Basic common sense stuff really.





Hope you enjoy your trip as much as I did. I intend returning in July of this year.





Regards



Sinhala

No comments:

Post a Comment