Friday, April 2, 2010

Galle to Unawatuna Transfer

I am working in Colombo for a week, and unexpectedly I have been given a day off. I want to catch an early train to Galle, walk aound the old town for a couple of hours and then take a tuk-tuk to Unawatuna beach.





Can anyone advise me as to what fare I should pay for the tuk-tuk ?





Thank you





Brendan



Galle to Unawatuna Transfer


Hi Brendan,





Unawatuna is bout 5 km from Galle. A tuk tuk should be in the region of LKR 200-250 for a foreigner. Maybe LKR 150 for locals.





Why not just hop on one of the many buses that are plying towards Matara. That will cost you about LKR 15.





Hans



Galle to Unawatuna Transfer


Hi Hans





Thanks for the prompt reply. I might well consider the bus - a new experience.





Just there for the day, I reckon I will have about 5hrs before I have to get the train back again. I did it once before, but keen to repeat what was a truly memorable day.





best wishes







Brendan




Okay, in that case an additional tip:





Rush hour trains from Galle to Colombo tend to be extremely packed. Not much chance for a seat, unless you%26#39;re at the Galle platform 30 mins before departure - because that is when the train arrives from Matara. (%26#39;Dead-end station%26#39;, the loc needs to move to the other side).



Alternatively you might even take a brief tuktuk ride from Unawatuna beach to U%26#39;tuna railway station or one of the other small stops nearby. It%26#39;s the same train acting as local train Matara-Galle and then becoming the express to Colombo, and this way you have a seat guarantee and save on the bus ride (%26amp; hassle) back to Galle.





Have fun,





%26lt;Erik%26gt; %26amp; [Sandya] - in 2 weeks time in U%26#39;tuna again!

No comments:

Post a Comment